Komu

Komu

Saturday, September 1, 2012

Practice search for Toby in Tukwilla 20120901

How could you not love a face like that?  Komu is very happy here because he found two cats, and because he is getting cheese for a reward.  We were only supposed to be finding Toby hidden in the bushes in his carrier, but Mu also found a feral cat hiding in the landscaping of the office complex.
Although we haven't had rain in 40 days, the humidity and temperature were fine.  Mu started at the south end of the large building, and I knew Toby had been planted somewhere near the north end.  He worked up and down through the shrubs and St. John's Wort between the sidewalk and the windows of the offices.  Half way along the building, Komu alerted.  I thought it was probably a rabbit, since we weren't supposed to be anywhere close to Toby yet.  I dropped Komu's leash so I could go around and catch him on the other side.  Even though I had let go, he didn't rush after his quarry.  When I saw he was actually trailing an animal, as opposed to detecting a stationary animal, I called him back.  He came to me, and I saw a tabby cat run out of the bushes.  Mu saw the cat too.  He barked for his treat, and I rewarded him with cheese.  I told him he was a good boy and he should go find another.

We kept working along the building, in and out of the shrubs.  In the area north of the building, I took Komu to the north side so he could work into the wind coming out of the south.  We worked in and out of the storm water swale.  Closer to the river, he suddenly veered into a laurel and went straight through to Toby's carrier, whining.  I came around and saw that he had in fact found Toby.  I rewarded him with another helping of cheese.  To me, the picture seems to show that he is happy about more than just cheese.  He really likes the challenge, and then finding the hidden kitty.  It is a game that he is good at and that he enjoys deeply.  When he is working, Mu is the best dog in the world. 


No comments:

Post a Comment